Monday, October 15, 2012

Walks and Socs

As promised, on the next sunny day (this past Friday), Ishbel and I went up the mountain at the end of the promenade in town.  It is named Constitution Hill, but everyone calls it "Consti."  After a brief chat with my flatmates about my plans to go up there - wherein I was advised that the hill was a hell of a climb - I decided to take the train up, and walk down.  When it was opened originally in 1896, the cliff-side railway was powered by a "water-balance" system, which means that as one of the two cars went down the hill, it pulled the other car up.  It has since been converted to electricity.  So Ishbel and I hopped into the train and rode up.  It was a lot of fun - short though it was - and a novel experience.  I'm glad I was lazy and took the train.

In the next three pictures you get a sense of how steep the hill was that the train climbs.  And it runs every few minutes.  I passed the descending train and waved at the people riding it down.

Looking down at the track we've already covered.

Ishbel has no idea what this strange contraption was, but she was excited to be along for the ride.

Looking up to the top once we were near.

Once up, you are way above the rest of Aberystwyth and can see for miles.  It says on a clear day you can see all the way to the tallest mountain in Wales - Snowdon - off in the north.  I don't think it was quite clear enough for us to see that, but we did get a beautiful whole-town view of Aberystwyth and could see out through parts of Cardigan Bay.

View of town, and the rare sunshine

A close-up of the Old College (left), the runs of Aberystwyth Castle (center), and the War Memorial from WWI (right).

Once at the top there are some things you can do - apart from admiring the breathtaking view.  There are more activities in the summer, when the weather is nicer and there are more tourists in Aber, but there are year-round activities too.  There is a cafe and bar, which hosts events and apparently is a nice little steakhouse on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday evenings.  There is bowling you can reserve, an arcade, frisbee golf, and a camera obscuras - you can see things birds-eye-view up close and personal.  I looked longingly at the frisbee golf nets, but had neither a frisbee nor another player with me.  I also passed on the camera for this trip.  I did, however, grab lunch at the cafe.

This is the camera obscuras - one of the largest in the world, apparently!

The only "activity" I did was get food.

Following a lovely lunch that I drew out for some time while reading my Kindle, which I had the foresight to pack along, Ishbel and I walked back down.  The walk down was nice - and I only slipped once, which, for someone as clumsy as me, is saying something.  Ishbel was gracious enough to sit down on the hill behind me as if we'd stopped for a sit intentionally.  She's so thoughtful.

Part-way down the hill, I stopped and snapped what is likely to become one of my favourite pictures.  When I return home, I'll print this big and frame it.

At strategic viewing points along the climb, there are benches.  I would certainly be thankful of them on the way up.  As it was, I didn't need to stop.  However, I was able to grab a couple who were sitting on one bench and get the to take this picture of me (gasp!) in front of town, to prove that I am indeed here, and not just Ishbel.

Not too bad, I suppose...



On to 'socs,' which is short for 'society.'  This bothers me a bit, as it is pronounced 'sock,' which doesn't fit 'society,' but it's not my word so I have to go with it.  I am thus far involved in the Tarot and Meditation Soc, and Aber Archers Club (sports groups are clubs, where as other interest groups are socs).  As previously mentioned, I did attend one fencing club event, but I think I've ruled that it is not for me at this point in time.  I am tossing around the idea of going to the Scottish Reeling soc event tonight; it's something I want to do, but I'm feeling a decided lack of confidence in my ability.  Plus, it means going back up the big hill, which I have already done once today.

I successfully navigated the big library this morning and found a book I need to read part of for class.  I feel quite accomplished having done that.  On the other hand, I also have a cold, which is not a good feeling.  Oh well.  Cold or not, I helped my team win pub quiz for the second week in a row last night.  Huzzah!

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment